With the turtle season over, I’ve picked up a couple English classes to keep myself busy. Three times a week I go to one of the youth centers in Espargos to teach English and help out with activities and then twice a week I teach English at a youth center for homeless kids and kids from less fortunate families in Santa Maria. The kids are all really excited and enthusiastic about learning English and its very rewarding to run into my students on the street and hear them say, “Sara! Good morning!” Even if his response to my asking, “How are you?” is, “My name is fine.” At least it’s a start.
Before coming to the youth center in Espargos, I had never met a group of kids more excited for Christmas. Everyday for the past 3 weeks they have been drawing pictures of Christmas trees, Santa Claus (Pai Natal), candles and wreaths and making decorations for their classroom. Today we made a Christmas countdown by making a paper chain with each link representing a day until Christmas. Each kid decorated a couple links and they are all excited for their day to cut their link. There was a small brawl over who would get to decorate the Dec, 25th link, but in the end all was resolved with the decision to have everyone draw a small picture on the link. They also taught me a Christmas song – its to the tune of Jingle Bells and roughly translates to:
On Christmas, On Christmas
Just toys made in China
Play with them today
Play with them tomorrow
And after tomorrow they are broken.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Helping our neighbor's kids put up their Christmas tree!
Santa Cruz - the poorest zone in Espargos. They have no water and electricity only after 5pm.
Woohoo! A new post! I think I may introduce that christmas song here as well. :) Glad to hear you are well! I've been hanging out on skype hoping to bump into you....soon hopefully. :) Miss youuuu!
ReplyDeleteWhoah, I had no idea about Santa Cruz. Thanks for posting the pic. No water is rough.
ReplyDeleteAlso, as a life-long Michigander, I completely sympathize with your entire first paragraph.
I love the christmas song haaaha and I totally used to make those paper chains when I was a kid!! I feel your pain with the sweating (over 50 degrees=sweat city) but it is sooo cold here, like 18 degrees fuhreezing. anywho it's always fun to read your posts - miss ya twinners!!
ReplyDelete