Monday, July 19, 2010

Africa!!!

Bon dia!! After an anxious couple of days in Boston I finally arrived in Praia on Saturday morning after taking a jam-packed red eye over the Atlantic! We were greeted by PC staff and current volunteers and taken to Madre Teresa residence hall where we are staying until Wednesday. We really hit the ground running and have been having full (and exhausting) days of medical/safety/ general info presentations and creole language lessons. There are 24 people in my group from all over the country and all ages - its a really great group and everyone is really excited to be here! Since we don´t really know the language and don´t know our way around the city we haven´t been allowed to really leave the dorm so it still hasn´t really sunk in yet that I´m in Africa.

Its really not as hot as I was expecting, but the rainy season is starting soon and its beginning to get a bit humid. Food is good - lots of rice, potatoes and chicken.

I´m running out of time on the computer (I´m at an internet cafe and there is a really long line of other PCers waiting to use the internet) so sorry if this post is a little scatter-brained. Just wanted to let people know I arrived! I leave for my host familys house on wed and am not sure what the internet situation will be over there, but i´ll try to post some pictures next time.

Also, if I didn´t talk to you on gchat I wasn´t trying to ignore you, but I had limited time on the computer and everything is in portuguese so its taking me a while to figure out what´s going on/where all the keys are on the keyboard.

Love and miss you all!!

9 comments:

  1. Hi it's sooo good to hear news. We scoured google earth looking for you but no luck. Can't wait to hear about the transition to the host family. Hope you are able to chk email. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so good to hear from you! Glad it's not too sweltering, and I cant wait to hear more stories! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO SO SO SO cool that you are there! Michael is jealous beyond belief--I am jealous beyond belief...Will be following you whenever and wherever you can blog. Hope to hear from you soon! love, Auntie Maggie (aka selahOne)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait until the sand storms start...altho maybe you don't have sand like Dakar there? Settle in and enjoy--but don't eat any puppies or turtles, please!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, glad to hear you made it!! Good luck with move in and everything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY glad to hear you made it safe n sound. Have fun and make sure to stay sharp on your kung fu! Miss ya twinners

    ReplyDelete
  7. Been keeping tabs on you through your parents - although, they haven't heard too much from you which is understandable. Just wanted you to know that we all think about you daily! Be safe and have fun! Love ya - auntie mer and uncle ed

    ReplyDelete