Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Menta Choc

Tomorrow is the last day of training in Praia! We have one more full day of language/culture classes in the Madre Teresa before boarding a bus to meet our host families! I am going to be staying in a village outside the town of Picos.

So some things that I wanted to mention before, but forgot as I was frantically trying to type my last post/figure out how to use the keyboard.

-They have ice cream! Well, there’s an ice cream shop in Praia, can’t speak for wherever I’ll be next. I’ve been taking full advantage and have been there twice in the last 3 days and got to practice some kriolu – N kre menta choc, pur favor. (I want mint chocolate, please!)

-There are stray dogs everywhere. They are so skinny and so sad looking. I want to adopt them all. Think the Sarah McLachlan commercial but 10x more depressing.

-Woke up bright and early for a 6am beach swim today and it was the PERFECT way to start off the day. The water was not as warm as I expected it to be, but still very comfortable (it was probably at least double the temp of the last beach I was at…no offense, Rachel). It was extremely salty so it was really easy to just float and relax. Fingers crossed for a permanent site at which I can make this a daily habit

-The majority of the cities in CV were started by slaves who were trying to escape from their European slave traders. Remote, spread out and hard to get to places are very effective hiding spots. So, while as the crow flies the cities are close together, movement between them is difficult.

-I saw another Asian.

My access to internet is probably going to be pretty spotty so, even though it sucks, just know that at this point, no news is probably good news


View from my window at the Madre Teresa of Praia.

Group photo in Boston airport before our flight


2 comments:

  1. Thank God there's ice cream! I couldn't image what you would have done without that for 2 years.
    And as for the dogs, I couldn't help but hear Sarah McLachlan say, "Will you be an angel for a helpless animal?" haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. 冰淇淋! Looks like you've been working on your Portuguese quite a bit! Don't forget your Chinese though- you might have to keep secrets with that other Asian person someday.

    ReplyDelete