Sorry its been awhile since my last post; between my final project, PST wrapping up, moving out of homestay and getting ready to move to site things have been a little bit hectic. But, here I am and I have lots to update you all on! I am going to try and cover all the highlights of the past 2½ weeks, so here it goes:
-The Counterpart Conference was less exciting than I had hoped. Since the local park teams have not yet been formed, I still don’t have a counterpart. Instead, they sent a representative from the DGA (Environmental Ministry) to meet with all of the EEs and serve as our stand-in counterpart for the conference. It was informative in that I got some numbers of environmental people on Sal that I should contact; however, it also drove home the fact that these new parks are really in the very first stages. They have not determined the actual boundaries of the park and nobody can even tell me a general area of where the park might be. So I was a little jealous of everyone else who got to learn about what they would be doing for the next 2 years, but that’s ok. I have been trying to prepare myself for the fact that my first couple months at site will just be spent trying to integrate into the community and make friends with people.
-After meeting our counterparts all the SEDs staying on Santiago went to their sites and all of us leaving the island went to Praia, from which we would be flying out the following day. It was really sad saying goodbye to everyone. After spending 9 weeks together we all were pretty close and so while everyone was excited to get to site, it was sad to split up. It was very bittersweet.
-The stay in Praia was short but awesome. Another night of hot showers and air conditioning. And believe it or not, but I ate CHINESE FOOD!!!!!! There is 1 Chinese restaurant in Praia (and possibly the one one in CV) and I ate their twice in 24 hours. Fried dumplings and fried noodles. Nom nom nom.
-Our first day here, Holly and I spent cleaning house and organizing all the stuff that has been building up over the years of the apartment being the home for PCVs in Sal. We had to buy some things for the apartment so we walked into town to run some errands and get an idea of the layout of Espargos. Because we went out around noon, most of the places we wanted to go to were closed for lunch so we ended up doing a lot walking back and forth between places waiting for them to reopen. Meanwhile, we were carrying groceries, water, mop, broom, bucket and bags of other random items. Needless to say, we looked very odd – 2 brankus sweating their asses off, carrying cleaning supplies and jugs of water walking back and forth along the main street. The next day we were talking to some people we were sharing a Hiace (taxi van) with and they were like, “Oh yeah, we saw you girls yesterday walking around Espargos carrying mops.”
-Yesterday Holly and I decided to scope out the beach scene and we found that we basically live in a giant sandbox and the entire coast is beach. The water is incredibly blue and everywhere (outside of Santa Maria) is empty! The first beach we went to was gorgeous and there were only about 5 other people there. Later the former PCV invited us to a beach party that his fiance’s family was throwing. We swam, ate freshly grilled pork and chicken, drank some beers and watched the sunset. It was an unbelievable day. I know that I will probably lose any and all street cred I may have earned for doing the PC.
It sounds beautiful Sarah! I got a little teary-eyed when I read about you saying bye to your host family. And I'm so glad you got some dumps!
ReplyDeleteI miss you!
xoxo
-Kelly
Your CV mom and sisters are going to miss you like your real mom does. BWAAAA...
ReplyDelete