Sorry for the lack of communication lately – while tearing up the road/laying sewage pipes, they accidentally cut the phone line so nobody in Achada Liton had phone or internet service for awhile. But its all fixed!
It’s the homestretch of PST! 2 more weeks in Achada Liton, then its off to Sal! As much as I love my CV family and being around the other PCTs, I am definitely ready to move into my own place and start working! PST is really exhausting and I think its all starting to catch up with me. This is not to say that the days have not been memorable – they are still filled with absurd and entertaining events. Here are a few things that have been going on in my life:
-The culmination of the 9-week PST is that all PCTs are supposed to do a community project. I am working with the other EEs and we are organizing a nature hike to a place called Tabugal, an extremely green, agricultural and lush area located in a valley. The hike is next Sunday, but we decided it would be a good idea to scope out the trail ahead of time so the three of us and a local made the hike down to Tabugal yesterday. Tabugal is located in a deep valley so it was a very steep descent down the mountain. We were halfway down when it started pouring rain. It made the trail a bit slippy, but the cool rain was a welcome relief from the mugginess. Unfortunately, rain in CV does not mean that the humidity will end, in fact, it seems to be the opposite. Between hiking up and down this mountain and the humidity I’m pretty sure I sweat off any calories I may have consumed in the past 3 weeks. Before arriving in this country, I never thought I would sweat so much in my life – Bonnaroo has got nothing on Cape Verde. Sorry, I’m sure reading this is about as enjoyable as actually sweating. Anywhoo, Tabugal was absolutely amazing! It was like another world – one that was not far from Jurassic Park. At one point we were walking on a dike completely surrounded by plants and pushing sugarcane stalks out of our way. I felt like a jungle explorer. It was definitely not an easy hike and I was exhausted afterwards. I am a little bit nervous for next week when we have to lead the same hike, but with 30 youth (hopefully ages 16+) and I also have to give a presentation on water management in kriolu. I foresee being completely spent, both physically and mentally.
-There are different variations of kriolu spoken in CV based on what island you are on – the biggest difference is between Northern and Southern Creole. Since PST has been on Santiago (a southern island) I have been learning southern kriolu; however, Sal is in the north. So, along with some of the other volunteers going to northern islands, I have been attending Northern Kriolu classes. It is a little bit disheartening to see and hear how different this one language can be. I was just starting to feel like I was able to have a somewhat intelligent conversation in kriolu and now I have to prepare myself for going back to speaking like a 4 year-old for my first weeks/months on Sal. Words have different meanings, some words aren’t used, pronunciation is different, etc. Ave Maria!
-My mother told me I had a big butt today. I got up after dinner to bring the dishes into the kitchen and my mom says, “Sarah, bu kadeira sta rodondu!” I knew that kadeira meant butt, but I did not know the other word so I was like, “What? There’s something on my butt? Did I sit on something?” Meanwhile my mom and sisters are cracking up. Finally my sister says, “No, rondinu! Big!!” I told my mom it was because she was feeding me so much food and that I was eating at least 5 meals a day in CV. She got a kick out of that one. She is always telling me that she’s going to make me fat, so I think my big butt made her proud.
-To call somebody by their race or skin color is not offensive, just another way to get someone’s attention. I can’t even tell you how many times I have heard, “Oi! China!” It’s the best in Assomada because you’ve got all the street vendors yelling at you to buy their mangoes and Hiaces (taxis) circling trying to get people into their car. The Hiace drivers are very aggressive in general and they will pull up right next to me and yell, “Hey Chinese! Praia?! Praia?!” It is very entertaining. Another trainee was telling me about how she was sitting in a packed Hiace when the woman next to her says to the whole car, “Look everyone! Look at this branku (white person) sitting next to me!” Of course my friend understood what the lady said, so when everyone turned around she just waved and said “bon dia!” Oh hilarity. Can you imagine what would happen if someone said that to another person in the US? Lawsuit.
-Another ridiculous txiga story. The other day I was riding in a Hilux when the woman across from me starts yelling to her friend who was walking along the road. It is not uncommon for people riding in Hiluxes to yell to people they pass that are walking or sitting in front of their house. Its usually a short exchange – Hi! How are you? Where are you going? It rained today! Etc. So this lady yelled the usually things and then as we are pulling away, she yells, “Txiga! Txiga!” I could not help but burst out laughing. The lady was not even home yet and she was already yelling for people to txiga.
- I had this tune stuck in my head all day and I couldn’t figure out what it was. Then later in the day I came to the horrifying realization that it was Justin Beiber. I almost cried. Beiber fever has hit CV. If I hear that “Baby, Baby” song one more time someone’s radio is going to get smashed.
I'm calling you China from now on.
ReplyDeleteso funny, Sarah! Hey, I must have missed your earlier entry so I never understood what you meant by "txiga"...so I googled it and guess what? Your entry from July 23rd popped up as the #3 option to view!! How totally cool was that? hahaha Really enjoying your entries. Can't believe you are tolerating the mosquitoes so well that you don't even mention them anymore--brings back memories of Auntie Mi and myself trying all sorts of creative ways to keep the mosquitoes from getting into our living spaces...especially how we would "cover each other" with our eyes to make sure no mosquitoes were about to sneak an attack on an exposed body part!!
ReplyDeleteoh and I love the butt comment. It's a good thing. Love you! Auntie Maggie
i've read bits of this post several times now, and I still laugh at each story! Chang, you rock. Brian and I are in the midst of writing a huge email to you, b/c there's so much to tell you!!! Good luck with that hike with kiddos and be proud of that big butt, China! hahaha misssss youuuouo.
ReplyDelete