Friday, August 20, 2010

Big Tree

Today was our second day of On-the-Job Training and me and the other EE trainees led a nature hike to the see the biggest tree in CV. We met with an LCF and current EE volunteer at an orphanage in Assomada. From there we rounded up 9 kids ages 10-15 and started walking. The tree was a 40 min or so hike from the orphanage – its located in Boa Entrada, a town just outside Assomada. We hiked down into the valley where everything was incredibly green! It’s the rainy season and planting is in full swing. We saw tomatoes, mangoes, papayas, figs, avocado trees, carrots, kale, manioc, bananas, etc. I felt like I was in some tropical place walking through the jungle.

The tree we went to visit is the biggest tree in all of CV and it was HUGE!! It’s trunk was really wide and was definitely the biggest tree I have ever seen. All the boys climbed up the tree and the girls stood around and watched and threw slugs at each other.

After our visit with the tree, we had a little discussion with the kids about the importance of trees, biodiversity and environmental protection. I was really impressed by how much the kids knew – they were explaining photosynthesis and erosion! It seems that they are learning a lot in school, but its just not carrying over to daily life. For example, they all knew that trash should go into the trashcan; however, just on our walk I saw a girl throw her candy wrapper on the ground. I feel like this isn’t that different from what’s happening in the states – people understand the importance of environmental conservation; yet they continue to do things like consume fossil fuels. The knowledge is there, but the action is not. Anyways, it was encouraging to see that the kids were excited about nature.

Random story: As I said before, to txiga is one of the most common activities in CV and people yell for others to txiga all the time. All the time. Even when it just seems ridiculous. For example, the other day I was at the house of another trainee. Her dad was standing in their front patio when a car started backing into their driveway to turn around. Her dad yells, “Bon Dia! Txiga! Txiga!” Seriously? The dude is in his car! I told my LCF this story, and apparently, it is not uncommon.

The Biggest Tree in Cape Verde!



No comments:

Post a Comment