Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Mid-PST

Got to use the internet at Pedro Grande’s house today and it was just what I needed. It had been a good 3 weeks since I was last online. While it is nice to not be on the computer all the time, I almost forgot that life was continuing outside of PC and CV. I had over 100 unread emails – it was slightly overwhelming. I have yet to decide whether or not to try and regain control over my mailbox or just let it go.

I am temporarily sans electricity right now – third day in a row. The power will just randomly go out for a couple hours here. I am still not sure why and I don’t have the kriolu vocab to understand what my mom or sisters say when I ask why the power keeps going out. My headlamp has been getting a lot of good use. It can get scary dark here. As our PC safety director says, “when the sun goes down in CV, it gets dark.” <- possibly my favorite piece of advice yet.

People have asked what I do all day, so here’s a typical day for me during PST:

7 am: wake up, brush teeth, make bed (my mom gets very upset when I don’t), eat breakfast, get ready to go

7:45: get picked up by the PC car/hop on a Hilux

8 am – 12:30: Language class in Achada Igreja with Matt, Holly and Africano (language teacher)

12:30: head back home for lunch with my fam

2:00: Hilux it back to Achada Igreja for Technical Training with all the SED trainees (discussing community development techniques)

5:00 pm: get home, txiga with neighbors, hang out with my sisters, braid hair, play scatch and uno, visit with Matt’s family, homework, etc.

7:30/8 pm: eat dinner

9 pm: watch Portuguese novella (soap opera) with my family – It is by far the most dramatic piece of television I have ever seen. For not understanding the language, it is still very entertaining.

9:30 pm: bucket bath

10 pm: bedtime

The days here are pretty long and exhausting.


1 comment:

  1. Yeah for your mom over there - training you to make your bed every morning - didn't I try to teach you that too???? Sounds like a full and productive day, immersed in your new life.

    ReplyDelete