It finally txube’d today! And torrential txuba at that. The rain clouds were teasing us all weekend – sprinkling a little bit and then disappearing. Its pretty late into August for our first big rain of the season and I think a lot of CVans were relieved to see rain. It was unbelievable how much it rained – heavy rain for probably 30 - 45 min. People were out collecting water in barrels; houses have gutters on their roofs that funnel into barrels; people were sweeping water off the roofs; kids were taking baths; it was general mayhem and a ridiculous amount of outdoor activity for how hard it was raining. My house has a pipe that leads from the roof to the water tank under the house – its pretty neat and it was incredible the amount of water that was coming through the pipe! On top of that, the terra roads did not fair so well and no cars could get through, hence, no school! Woop woop!
The biggest downside of the rainy season (so far) has been the amount of flies around. It is disgusting how many there are. My mom will use a towel to herd a cloud of flies out of the house and literally within seconds they will be crawling all over the table again. Even my mosquito net has caught about 6 flies. My LCF (language teacher) was telling me about an electric fly swatter he saw in Assomada the other day. I am going to get one and have a field day. I think it would be a good stress relieving activity.
The biggest downside of the rainy season (so far) has been the amount of flies around. It is disgusting how many there are. My mom will use a towel to herd a cloud of flies out of the house and literally within seconds they will be crawling all over the table again. Even my mosquito net has caught about 6 flies. My LCF (language teacher) was telling me about an electric fly swatter he saw in Assomada the other day. I am going to get one and have a field day. I think it would be a good stress relieving activity.
My Room.
That water catchment makes soo much sense and is such a practical and sustainable solution for a fundamental need! Take notes America!
ReplyDeleteA little rain in that front yard and I bet the garden takes on a whole new look. Lights on the wall, TV antenna, definitely good signs.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteGollum might have been too much for your room.
ReplyDeleteRain - GOOD; flies - BAD. Keep that mosquito netting on with duct tape. It already looks like your room at home with all that stuff on the floor... :)
ReplyDeleteHi Sarah ... just stumbled across your blog recently and I have to say your pictures are really awesome! I especially like that your bed has a jesus mural right next to it. As for electric fly swatters, I used to have one and can safely say that it is the most fun you could ever have killing flies.
ReplyDeleteI have a gift for you that you might appreciate when you're doing battle with all the bugs. Check your mail in about.. a month haha. international postage fail.
ReplyDelete